Tonight is my last night of being 28.
I can pretty much summarize my last year with this picture:
Why do you ask that I use such a picture? Well, 28 was a victorious year. It was filled with life.
To have this make sense, I need to contrast it with year 27.
Yes, 2013 was a most difficult year. The word of the year was death. Death as in dying to self — my old self, and death as in depression and suicide. There was a darkness that covered year 27. And then I came into year 28 and the word became life. Though last year was hard, I had to die to become the person that I am today.
I am far from perfect and not near where I want to be, but I am moving ever closer.
The Birthday List
I do a Birthday Bucket List each year. Usually on the eve of my birthday or the day of, I look over my list and thank God for all that I was able to do. These lists bring me so much joy and thankfulness.
Some of the Year 28 highlights include:
- Read 28 books (favorites include: Ready Player One, Never Let me Go, Amazing Grace)
- Host an event – Jane Austen party!
- Go to New England (Boston!)
- Go to the South (New Orleans!)
- Eat a New Orlean’s Beignet
- Open a new bank account, along with a savings account
- Go on a date!
- Buy an expensive dress
- Transcribe Acts
Along with this list, I was able to experience traveling to many new states and visiting friends in their new homes; I received a promotion at work and learned so much about myself through the process; I found my voice, really — I learned to stand up for myself in all types of relationships; I moved into a new place with new roommates that I love so much; and most importantly, I am comfortable with who I am — I see myself more clearly and I see how God sees me.
What will 29 bring?
I am not sure how 29 will pan out (only God knows) but I did finish my 29 List. Here’s some of my favorites:
- Visit the UK
- Finish my first draft of my novel
- Read 29 books
- Finish the Bible Study I am writing
- No Starbucks for the year (excluding special locations, i.e., London!)
- Get that Illinois license